Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Conversation

"I love to talk. When I was little I was told I had diarrhea of the mouth. That really makes a child feel good about themselves. But I never learned to be quiet. I love words, the sounds of them - abracadabra, serendipitous, mousse, punctual. They roll off of your tongue so sweetly, so seductively. They have power. A power that most people seem unaware of. The power to enlighten, to inform, to infuriate, to arouse, to spellbind. The power to connect. And it is the connection that I want, that I need. The connection that conversation brings. When I read a book, I want to discuss it. When I see a movie that provokes thought, I want to talk about it. And therein lies the rub, I have no-one to discuss things with. To converse with, to have a conversation with. No one who wants to go deep into ideas, into emotions, into anything at all. I read a quote by John Delinger. It goes like this. "INTELLIGENT people discuss ideas, AVERAGE people discuss events, IGNORANT people discuss other people." I would have used simple. He choose ignorant, a harsher, more judgemental word. So instead of conversation, I talk to myself, in my head, in my heart, in these words. I ache for conversation. Talk to me", I whisper.

Are you listening?

1 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good info

 

Post a Comment

<< Home