Thursday, March 02, 2006

History

" I have loved reading and studying history since I was a little child. Anything from the past has always grabbed my attention. I spent 4 years obtaining a degree in Modern European History for no other reason than that it had captured my imagination like no other subject, and today, reading "Knocking on the Moonlit Door" I found the best explanation as to why.
..... those other shards of past worlds that linger, inescapable presences in the modern life of the Old World, still have a role to play. They assure us that we come from something, we are the product of centuries of beating hearts, not lonely castaways on alien shores. They are grappling hooks slung out by history to snag our imaginations and hold us fast, so that we may claim the solidity of the past to balance the incalculable future as we tread our small span in the march of time.

I satisfy my thirst for history these days by uncovering my past, hidden in the lives of my ancesters. They tell me who I am and where I come from. They are my roots and my soil. They anchor me in a world where I continually feel I don't belong. What anchors you?" I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home