Friday, March 16, 2007

Comments

"Wow, I have had more hits in the past two days over my posting on Teddy Bears than I sometimes get in a couple of months! I have a couple of comments though for those who have posted comments. I hope that they will answer them.

First Comment: This is to Jennifer. My husband works for the military. He has talked to men who have served in Afghanistan, he has friends who are there now. They all say that things are not changing there, but only getting worse. I never said anything about the individuals in the military NOT helping the Afghan people. I know they do. That is not what my blog was about. Also, yes, I am fortunate that I can speak my mind, even if it does get edited. The Irving connection was edited out of the Daily Gleaner, our local paper, because ALL of the papers in New Brunswick are owned by Irving. They have tight control over what gets printed. Very rarely do anti war articles or letters make it into the paper. There is definitely censorship here in New Brunswick. As to your comment about women in Afghanistan, if you had read a previous posting I wrote on the war, it specifically mentioned the women of Afghanistan. Since the invasion, life has gotten tremendously worse for the women there. The current government, under the auspice of NATO (of which we are a part) and the United States is working on bringing back into effect the laws that govern women that were in force under the Taliban. "As Muslims, we have a strong book, the Holy Koran, and we believe in the Koran, we don't believe in the Constitution," says Haji Ahmed Fareid, a religious scholar and parliamentarian when commenting on bring back into law Sharia, the extreme laws that govern Muslims behaviour, especially that of women. All one has to do is read articles and papers written by the women of Afghanistan, such as Malalai Joya, to understand that things are not better but in fact, in some cases are worse.

On another note, why would you assume that I am Christian?

Second Comment: This is to Frank Gordon. Yes, I am ex military and have never had a problem getting help, in fact I am on a disability pension. And while my letter was about the need for help for the real victims of this war, the Afghan people, my main concern was the use of a childs toy, decorated as a killer, which is what soldiers in wartime are, being used to raise funds for families that have access to all different kinds of help, while the people of Afghanistan suffer from hunger, lack of water, lack of medical aid, in fact, the very basic neccesities for life. My question is, why should the public donate money to men and their families who have VOLUNTARILY chosen this career. They are not doing this for their country, or in most cases (I speak from the position of one who hears what the men going to Afghanistan say)to better the life of the Afghan people, but for the extra money, tax free, that they will receive; and as some so elequently state (sarcasm intended) "to kill ragheads". The people of Afghanistan did NOT ask for this war, we invaded THEIR country, The soldiers DID ask for this job, after all they voluntarily enlisted. Forgive me if I don't weep for them, the only "victims" in this country will be their children, not even their spouses, who knowingly married men and women in the military and therefore must accept the consequences of their actions.

Third Comment: This is for Honeypot. I suggest you read something other than just your local newspapers. I do. I read the local paper as well as other Canadian papers. I read papers from around the world. I read things written by the Afghan people themselves. Do you? As to your refering to me as "dumber than dogshit", I find it interesting that people who are disagree with a peace based approach to solving problems seem unable to express their opinion without becoming personal in their attacks. And as for your comment that I am a "misguided unappreciative nimrod" well, I must admit, I do NOT appreciate my country invading other countries, killing innocent civilians, bombing people's homes into oblivion, all in my name. If that makes me a "misguided unappreciative nimrod" then YES I am!!!

Fourth Comment: This is to rottenmonkey. Because I do not believe that we should have troops in Afghanistan does NOT mean that I agree with the Taliban. However, they haven't come here and killed my family, bombed my house, destroyed my livelihood. Perhaps if you read my posting "Opinion Piece", you can find the link on the right hand side of my blog, you would see that I think that dialogue, conversation, an active effort to get the people of Afghanistan to solve their own problems would be more effective than using guns, tanks and bombs to change peoples minds. I don't know about you, but when someone tries to force me to do something, I resist much harder, than when they convince me by logic and thoughtful example.


Have a great day everyone. I will." I whisper.

Are you listening>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home