Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Eyesight

"As you know, I love to read. I have mentioned that I read anything, books, magazines, newspapers, pamphlets, whatever I come across that has words on it. Through good times and bad, books have given me great pleasure, access to other worlds and ideas, knowledge and escape from this world. Usually I take the ability to read and the ability to see for granted. For about three weeks now, I have not.

I wear glasses and for some time now I have noticed that I don't appear to be seeing as well as I did. I thought perhaps that my eyes were changing to due to age. I know because I am nearsighted that I can expect this to change as I age. For these past three weeks though, my eyesight seems to be going down hill rapidly. When I have my glasses on, I can't focus when I read and my eyes water. If I take my glasses off and close my right eye, I can see to read but find that difficult to do for long. Needless to say, I haven't been doing much reading lately.

This has made me think about how lucky we are to live where we live. At birth our children automatically have erythromycin or silver nitrate drops put in their eyes to prevent blindness from ordinary bacteria or bacteria associated with sexually transmitted diseases. Our children's eyesight is routinely checked in school to see if there is a problem. Our medical plans cover visits to optomitrists and some cover the purchase of glasses.

I called an optomitrists office this morning and already have an appointment for tomorrow morning. If there is a problem it will be dealt with. If all I need is a new prescription, it will be issued to me and I can purchase glasses right away. A variety of styles will be available and I will have my new pair within 10 days. I can then send the bill in to our medical plan and be reimbursed 80% of the cost, up to $200. What could be fairer?

If it is a medical problem that is causing my sight to change, I will be treated or sent to someone who can help me. I will not be left to go blind with no help and no future. People in other countries aren't so lucky. Babies are born and not treated and go blind at birth, injuries happen to eyes and are not treated, ordinary problems such as nearsightedness cannot be helped because people do not have access to doctors and eyeglasses. A simple thing like glasses can change a person's life and yet for so many this never happens.

There are ways that the ordinary person can help. Don't throw away your outdated glasses, donate them to one of the many charities that collect them and ship them overseas. Most optical stores have collection boxes. If you feel generous donate to one of the agencies that fund eye operations. There are many wonderful agencies.

And most importantly don't take your own eyesight for granted. It is a gift that allows you to see this wonderful world we live in, the sunrises and sunsets, the leaves changing, the gentle fall of snow, the wind whipping up the waves on the ocean. Your eyes allow you to read this. I hope that you always are able to see." I whisper.

Are you listening?

1 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

um...yes we are
duh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home