Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Pamperinng

" pamper v. to treat very indulgently

Today I had my hair done. I don't feel old and I don't want to look old and I would if I didn't get it dyed and cut every six weeks. I have just started this the past year. Before that I never really payed much attention to myself. I have never liked to fuss over myself. I quess I thought I wasn't worth it, not important. Now I find that giving myself permission to be pampered makes me feel so much better about myself. I wonder why we think everyone else is worth something, but we are not? This extends to more than just pampering ourselves. It includes giving ourselves permission to be happy, to do things just for us. To have time for ourselves just to be or to do what we want. That is what the afternoon at the salon does for me. It gives me time for me, for my wants and needs without me having to give anything back. My time!

As well as my hair I had my eyebrows shaped. Much easier than taking care of them myself and something I wouldn't do, too finicky. But laying back on the bed, with warm wax on your face and soft nature music playing, it is easy to relax and let your mind go, even as your brow is being ripped out by the roots! Amazing that something painful can actually be pleasant!

While the dye was in my hair I had my hands incased in warm wax. For anyone who has never had this done, it is a wonderful sensation. You dip your hand in a warm wax bath, it hardens and you sit with your hands in plastic bags and cloth mitts. The warm wax relaxes your fingers and it feels oh so good!

My stylist kept my supplied with warm apple cider, magazines and good conversation. It is an interesting relationship that one develops with the person who pampers you. It has to be relaxed and friendly or it would not be pleasant for me. I would get stressed and then I would no longer do it. As I pay my bill there is always that intial, "Oh my god, I am actually spending this much on nothing!", but then I take a deep breath and relax and leave feeling good about myself. I look good and that makes me feel good and I can do just about anything feeling this way!", I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home