Saturday, December 10, 2005

Gifts

"Well today was the day! I officially started my christmas shopping. I know, there are people who have not only finished their shopping, it's wrapped, labeled and in some cases delivered. Oh and their cards are mailed, their house decorated, their tree is up and their baking is finished. I, however am not among those organized paragons of virtue. I don't even think about christmas until December 1. This is due to the facat that my daughter's birthday is November 30. When she was little, I didn't want anything to intrude upon her day. After 20 years, of not thinking about christmas before the first, it is an ingrained habit.

Today however I went out shopping and found things for my mother at the Fredericton Farmer's market. She enjoyed this thoroughly when she visited two years ago and will be thrilled to know her gifts were bought here. Now I just have to wrap and pack and mail the box clear across the country. Do you think it will get there before the big day? I hope so. My mother is 83 and I would hate for her not to have her gifts on christmas.

Bought my christmas candy gifts that have become as standard for christmas as the christmas tree. Turtles for my partner (I hate the new packaging!) and Ferrero Rocher for Phillip and Sarah. It would not be christmas without Phillip eating his entire box christmas day. Well, not quite true he always shares one each with his mom and dad!

Sarah's christmas is taken care of. She wanted a new dresser for her birthday/christmas present. That's taken care of, delivered and put together on her birthday. All her bedroom furniture matches, she is one happy, young lady and she has something her mother never has had, a matching bedroom suite. Ah well, there's always the next life! Now it's just stocking stuffers and a couple of small things, candy included.

Phillip is also going to be easy. For you who know him or have checked out the blogs listed on the right hand side, his is "The Art of Sushi", you will know he is a cook. As an apprentice cook he is still aquiring all the neccessary equipment. I hadn't realised until he started cooking professionally, that cooks have their own knives, whisks, etc. And of course, just any old equipment won't due, so he has asked for a gift certificate to a Fredericton store that caters to professional chefs. That and the traditional socks and underwear, candy and book, maybe a dvd if he is really good, should take care of his christmas.

That leaves my partner, Bob. As he reads this blog I can't tell you what he is getting but because we have decided on a joint present, a digital camera, his list is also small and easily taken care of. That just leaves a couple of family members and I am done. Wow, that was easy, unlike in previous years when I have spent hours and hours searching for the right gift and not finding it because everyone else started their shopping on November 1st and have snatched up all the really good stuff!

Shopping done, that leaves time for other things, like my traditional end of the year musing. What did I do, what could I have done differently, what should or shouldn't I have done. Reading over the list of books I have read this past year, only 50 some odd, a slow book year for me. Thinking about the new year, what changes do I want in my life, which ones are I brave enough to make and which will still be waiting come next christmas.

Do you think like I do? Do you disect your year, your life, do you think about how you can change and improve your existence, how you relate to your family, your friends and acquaintances, the broader community, the world, the very planet on which we live? Or are your christmas musings relegated to shopping and gift giving. Do you believe, like I do, that the greatest gift you can give is to yourself, the gift to be truly who you are, the person you were meant to be. Do you have the courage? Will you give yourself the gift of you this christmas?" I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home