Monday, December 05, 2005

Community 3

" Two weeks ago I took a deep breath and did something I should have done over a year ago, but was too embarrassed to do. I sent an email to a friend I hadn't seen or talked to since July 2004. I was too embarressed to call her and thought that an email would give her an out if she no longer wanted contact. To my surprise the next day there was a message on my voice mail, not only did was she glad to hear from me, but she wanted to get together!

For over a year I had thought about this woman, agonized over calling her and wondered why she hadn't contact me. Had I made her mad unknowingly? Didn't she like me as much as I liked her? Didn't she want to be my friend? I had probably spent hours thinking, about her, about calling her and why she didn't call me.

Guess what? She had spend the last year coping with cancer and her mother's death. She had spend abouat 6 months of the previous year in the hospital and with all the turmoil in her life she had lost my number and couldn't remember my last name. She was so glad I contacted her. She and I had met in a class on coping with fibromyalgia and had instantly hit it off. We are, like Anne of Green Gables would say, Kindred Spirits. We have assured each other that we will not let time pass, that we will stay in touch, that our friendship will have a chance to grow and develope.

And what have I learned from this experience? To follow your instincts, do what your gut tells you to do. If I had done as I knew I should, I could have been there this past year to support her as she went through her cancer treatments. I would have had the opportunity to grow even more and we would have had a year longer to enjoy each others company. Old acquaintances are just a phone call away and when one is looking for friendship, what better place to start. I haven't forgotten you", I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home