Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Community 2

" When I decided I had to change my life I was frightened. How does one go about turning a life time of doing upside down and rearranging it? Step by step, little by little. One of the first places I reached out was online. I had spent years of my life volunteering and because of illness no longer could. I found, however that I could still help people and the world. A simple act of clicking on a website would trigger donations to various causes. So every day for years now I click for various charities. Here are some of my favourites.

Care2 Make a Difference This site has email, community, shopping, healthy living and over 5 million members you can connect with.

The Hunger Site and its affiliates. You can click for pets, the environment, children, literacy and breast cancer. Has online stores where the sale of goods supports the various causes.

ecologyfund.com gives you various enviromental options for clicking. You can save land around the world from developement. This site keeps track of the amount of land you have saved. To date I have clicked and saved 107,588.1 sq.feet. Again this site has free email for it's users.

RedJellyFish One of my favourite click sites, sends a jellygram with environmental news right to your mailbox, has incredibly beautiful jigsaw puzzles to do and art work to buy.

buildaschool.org contributes it's donations to school building projects and funds children going to school.

Campbell Soups click for cans campaign lets you vote for your favourite football team and in the process contribute cans of chunky soup to the hungry of America.

Although all of these clicks contribute to causes and makes me feel that I am doing some good, they don't satisfy my need for companionship. That search took longer and has been a much more inconsistent process. Real people reguire you to be willing to make yourself vulnerable and I had to reach a point where my need outweighed my fear before I was willing to expose myself to others. Now I am and in the process I am learning about myself and I find that for the first time in my life I actually like who I am. And if you knew me would you like the me I am?" I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home