Friday, May 19, 2006

Friday's Woman

"I am always learning things and one of the most important things that I have learned is that women don't get the credit they deserve for the things that they have done. So as my little way to help educate the masses about the wonderful and courageous women that have dared to push the boundaries of what is acceptable for a woman to do, I have decided that each Friday I will post something about a woman I consider worthy of recognition. I will also include a link to a website that has to do with women. Today's link is to a Canadian website CoolWomen, a site about women who have "played a part in shaping Canada".

This Friday's Woman is MADGE GRAHAM the first Canadian woman to fly in an airplane. She interests me because my mother's sister Rachel, at the age of 14, was the first female to fly in an airplane in Independence, Kansas back in 1928. She saved her pennies so that she could take a ride in a plane flown by a "barnstormer", a man who flew from town to town offering rides to people in the new mode of transportation, the airplane. Today's blog is dedicated to all those brave women who stepped out of their roles and took on the skies. This photograph is curtesy of the Government of Canada's digital collections.

What brave and wonderful woman do you admire?" I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home