Sunday, April 30, 2006

Subdivisions

"I live on 1.4 acres of beautiful woodlands, in an area where all the lots are at least an acre. It is beautiful, peaceful and quiet. There are animals and birds of all kinds to watch. I have seen rabbits, deer, foxes, groundhogs, bear and all kinds of squirrels and chipmunks. The birds come in all different colors and sizes.

When we bought the property, I knew there was a road right of way between our place and the next door neighbour. Didn't think developement would come for a long time. Well, the owner of the property has decided to put in a subdivision and has started cutting down the trees to make the road in. I find it haeartbreaking.

I took my dog for a walk through the cut area today and I could have wept. The bog where the beautiful wild blue iris grow, is drying up and they aren't even up yet. The clearings where the little wild flowers grow have been used to burn the trees so they are covered in ash, now the flowers won't be able to come up. The trees that were home to birds and food for woodpeckers and bugs, that had beautiful fungi on them, are lying on the ground in pieces or offered up as burnt offerings to some unapproachable god.

I wish there was someway to live with nature, as part of it, which we are, without destroying the very things that give us life", I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home