Sunday, June 04, 2006

Rain

"It has been raining for two days. I don't mean a gentle spring rain. I mean a downpouring of endless rain, hour after hour, pelting against the roof, the windows, the ground. The kind of rain that no one wants to be out in, not even our dog. The rivers and streams are swollen, pregnant with the runoff from upstream, flooding their banks, encroaching on fields and roads. This is the kind of rain where you wonder if it will ever stop. It is like the heavens are crying and cannot be consoled. I watch the news and it is not just here, in parts of China the roads are flooded 4 metres deep with water. If it flooded that much here, I would not be writing this, my home would be under water. Where would I go, what would we do? We are so lucky to live where we do for we are safe here. It is only rain, that will end, the ground will dry and live will go on without disruption. Not so for the thousands in China who have lost their homes. May they find a safe haven from the heavens," I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home