Thursday, December 29, 2005

Fog

"Driving into town today was like driving through a different world. The fog lay everywhere, thick and enveloping. In town, looking across the river, you could not see the other side. It had vanished like it never existed. Usually what we have is light mist, rising from the ground in little patches. This was different. For hours it hung over the river valley before it turned into rain, beating down on the snow, running through the streets in torrents, creating huge puddles that washed over the windshield when you drove through. It did not seem at all like late December. It seemed more like fall and reminded me of one of my favourite poems. Favourite, not for its great writing, but for the picture it paints. Here it is:

I like the fall, the mist and all,
I like the night owl's lonely call--
And wailing sound of wind around.
I like the gray November day,
And bare, dead boughs that coldly sway
Against my pane. I like the rain.
I like to sit and laugh at it--
And tend my cozy fire a bit.
I like the fall--the mist and all.
--Dixie Willson


I like the fog because it hides away parts of the world. You drive through it unable to see too far ahead. Like life, what is in front of you remains hidden until you reach it. You drive carefully because you have to be prepared for what is hidden in the fog and in life we prepare ourselves for what is ahead. We make sure we have the right education, so as adults we can earn the money necessary to have the life style we desire. We plan our meals so we can have the food on hand to cook them. We schedule our days as far in advance as possible so that we can be prepared for every possible event. As we grow older we make sure we have the right amount of money saved for retirement. We do our best to prepare for all eventualities and even so life has surprises hidden for us, just like the fog.

May all the surprises hidden in your future be good ones,"I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home