Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Fear and Faith

"Two years ago, my son Phillip, in his third year of university, announced one day that he was dropping out of school to pursue a career as a cook/chef. My immediate response, as it always is, was to panic. I could see him working at some greasy spoon at minimum wage for the rest of his life! I was in full mothering mode. However my children have been teaching me over the past few years, to pause and reflect before I vent my panic, so I restrained myself, said okay but you have to work and pay rent and let it go for the moment.

The next day I went online and researched cooks and chefs in the Canadian context and was greatly reassured by what I read. I visited the Canadian Apprenticeship website, learned about Red Seals, the need for cooks/chefs now and in the future, and the potential income of cooks/chefs. I learned that, contrary to my beliefs, there is a real need for chefs in the world today and that a trained professional chef makes far more than minimum wage. I relaxed enough to stop my worrying and began to enjoy the far more relaxed and happy young man that was my son.

Two years have passed, Phillip has done Block One of the cook's apprenticeship program, worked hundreds of hours as a line cook at a local sports bar and now the Delta Hotel in Fredericton and loves his job more all the time. He is a happy, reasonably well paid young man, getting ready to do his Block Two in February.

On New Year's eve my partner and I went out to dinner at one of Fredericton's better restuarants. At the end of the meal, our waiter asked how we liked the dessert. My partner said it was delicious and jokingly said, "And you made it yourself, right." Our waiter said, "yes, as of next week I am the head chef". I must have had a look of disbelief on my face because he said, "really, I am" and proceeded to tell us that he had moved all the way from Vancouver, British Columbia for the job. I told him we were from Victoria, he said he was from there too. I then told him about my son being a cook's apprentice. He inquired where he worked, I said the Delta and he said, "here in Fredericton?" I said yes amd he said,"Why is he working there, when he could be working here creating food like this?"

Rob, the waiter, then said to have Phillip call him for a job interview, immediately following that up with, "No, I will call him." I gave him our phone number and tonight he called. Phillip has a job interview tomorrow at 3pm.

And what you ask, does all this have to do with the title of this blog, Fear and Faith? Well I am learning as I get older, that of all the bad things you can worry about, most are not ever going to happen. That one needs a little faith in life, in the process and in people. I was afraid that Phillip was in a going nowhere job, instead he has found a career for himself that offers great personal satisfaction and the potential for a very good living. I have learned that a good cook/chef (and I do know that there is a difference) will always have work and that people will actually headhunt for good workers. I have learned that I can actually trust others to make smart decisions, that I don't have to worry all the time and that at some point in my children's life and I think that time is now, I can let go and they will be fine." I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home