Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Eve

"It's the last day of 2005. I can remember as a child asking my mother if I could stay up late on New Year's eve 1999. I could not grasp that I would be an adult, the mother of my own children by the time that special day rolled around. And here it is past and gone and we are five years into the 21st century. We have always spent New Year's eve with friends and family. This year, as in the past 3 my partner and I will go out to dinner and then spend the rest of the evening with his sister, brother-in-law and niece. We will watch movies and nibble on goodies. It is always a nice time. My son works tonight and my daughter is having a party at her place. I hope that the night is good for both of them.

I spent today making stuffed mushrooms and spanakopita to take tonight. Both are so tasty and real treats. The spanakopita is time consuming to make and therefore not a run of the mill item in our home. They are, however, delicious and well worth the effort for a special occasion. I thought I would share these recipes as my gift to you for the new year.

Stuffed Mushrooms
12 large mushrooms
3 Garlic cloves
1 slice of bread
Olive Oil
Mozzarella Cheese

Pull out the stems of the mushrooms and chop stems finely. Add the olive oil to a non stick pan and heat. Put the chopped mushroom stems in along with the crushed garlic cloves. Crumble the piece of bread and add to the pan. Stir until mushroom pices are tender. Stuff into the bottoms of the large mushrooms and top with grated mozzarella cheese. Pop into a 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and mushrooms are cooked, about 15 minutes. Enjoy.

Spanakopita
8 oz frozen chopped spinach, water removed (I squeeze it out when it has thawed)
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz feta cheese
1/2 cup Parmasian cheee
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teasoon basil

Mix all this, except for the filo,together. I find the best way is to use my hands and just mix it all up. Use two layers of filo pastry, brushing olive oil on the first one, then lay the second one on top. Brush again with olive oil. Cut the pastry into four strips. Put 1 heaped tablespoon of filling into one corner and fold the pastry into triangles. Brush outside of triangle with olive oil. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until golden. These are delicious!

I hope that 2006 is a great year and brings you all the things in this life that you need, whatever that might be." I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home