Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

"Last night I went to the movies and saw "The Da Vinci Code". The reaction by the Catholic Church to this book and movie has made me think about what motivates people and organizations. I believe that when anyone has a over the top reaction to something, like this book and movie, it is genearally motivated by fear. I believe that for Catholics, and other christians that might come out against this work of fiction, who have a strong and tested belief in their faith, this should in no way pose a threat. If you really believe something, then you should be able to be exposed to other ideas that might be different from yours and retain your beliefs. It is only if your belief is shaky, founded on "truths" that cannot hold up to scrutiny, that you can be moved.

I believe that if your beliefs are never tested, you cannot truly believe something. You are just accepting what you have been taught without thought and without effort. It is only through close examination of both your beliefs and alternative ones, that you can really KNOW that you are correct. It is like saying that chocolate is the only/ best flavour of icecream, if you have never tasted anything else, how can you know? That might be a simplistic example, but I think it makes my point.

If the Catholic church is so afraid of "The Da Vinci Code" that it sees it a as a threat, that can only mean that the church itself feels on a shaky foundation." I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home