Wednesday, June 21, 2006

On Holiday

"I haven't been posting as I am taking the first holiday by myself that I have ever had. I left Fredericton on June 14th, had a 2 hour drive to Moncton. Saw three deer, one moose and a bald eagle on the way. It was a thrill to see the moose, it was a young one standing just off the road. It made my day. I found the Moncton airport interesting, you can buy live lobster to take with you! Too bad I didn't know my friend Jeanne wanted one, I would have had the thrill of carrying a live lobster across Canada!

The trip across Canada went very well, I wasn't nearly as nervous as I thought that I would be. In fact, I wasn't nervous at all, I should have done this years ago! Though, I might have reacted differently then. Now I was ready for the trip. Most of Canada was covered in clouds, so I didn't get to see much, got some great pictures out of the plane window of various cloud formations though. Missed not seeing the Rockies, I hope that it is clear when I fly home.

I spent 4 1/2 days in Victoria. My friends Jeanne and Jim and their children Erika and Cameron picked me up at the airport and took me to my hotel to check in, then took me out for a delicious dinner at the Strathcona Hotel. It was great seeing them again. Over the next couple of days I saw a bunch of my old friends, took a walk through Chinatown, did lots of shopping and picture taking, attended my friend Carolyn's wedding to another Jim and then had a nice day with my friend Marie, the mother of my daughter's friend Crista that died last year. I have written about her in an earlier posting. Marie has a delightful grandson and is doing well, I was glad to see.

Monday I took the bus to Port Alberni to visit my mom. It has been three years since I have seen her. I can't believe how little she has gotten. It makes her mortality very apparent. I can't imagine life without her. I am so glad I came to visit. I have told her I will come and visit again in January. I hope it gives her an incentive to take care of herself. She really doesn't, as she is alone all the time and gets very depressed and lonely.

I am here until July 2nd. I have cousins coming from the States on the 30th to meet me. I am looking forward to that. Then I will return to Victoria, spend the night at Jeanne and Jim's and then fly back to Moncton, arriving at 11pm. Won't be home until about 2am. I hope I get to see the mountains as I fly across them. They are breathtaking and the real symbol of British Columbia.

Hope you all have a great holiday, whenever you take yours. I sure am!" I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home