Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Signs of Autumn

"Sarah, Riley and I have started going for a morning walk each day. We walk around the subdivision just down the road from us. Sarah doesn't like to walk in a straight line, down our road. So we wander through the various roads that make up the subdivision. Riley loves to look at things and hates when we have to cover the stroller to keep the sun out of her eyes. She cries then. But she also cries when the bright sun is in her eyes. Her mother votes in favour of tears from the shade rather than the sun. Everyday we see something new. Yesterday it was a little lizard squashed on the road. It was only about 2 inches long, a beautiful red. Today, it was the first of the ferns turning color. They are a beautiful golden yellow. Our first signs of autumn out here in the country. My favourite time of year approaches. I love the crisp mornings, the warm afternoons, the early evenings. I like the food of autumn and later winter, the stews, lasagnas, roasts and chilis. Good hardy food that makes one glad to settle down for dinner. I like the darkness of the evenings, the candles lit, the incense burning. I like curling up with a good book, looking around my beautiful home and feeling safe and secure. Autumn gives me this and I am grateful," I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home