Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Rearranging

"After christmas I wanted to rearrange our living room. Because we have an open concept house I couldn't figure out how to do it. With only 3 walls to work with there didn't seem to be any other possible way to rearrange our furniture.

I have been mulling this over in my head for days and it wasn't until I realised that I didn't have to keep everything, that I was able to work out a solution. We spent the evening moving and discarding furniture and now it it is all finished the room looks much better, feels bigger and the energy is no longer stagnant but vibrant and alive.

In the process of rearranging things I had to move all my books out of 3 bookshelves. As I took them out I began to realise that there were books I hadn't opened in years, ones I would never read again (or even worse, had never read) and only about half of them did I really want to keep. I have piled all the unwanted books into my office and tomorrow I will sit down and post them all on freecycle. This not only gets rid of them, but allow others to enjoy them . Giving things away is always so much better than trying to get the last cent of worth out of them by selling.

Considering that we moved these very same books clear across the country less than four years ago, for me to even be able to contemplate getting rid of them says a lot about the progress I am making. I am learning to let go and not to have so much of myself invested in things. My whole family are keepers, I was brought up to never get rid of anything. I love the feeling I have now, to know that you don't have to keep things just because you have them is very liberating. Try it, you might surprise yourself at how good you feel when you let go," I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home