Saturday, January 21, 2006

Spring?

"When I first moved to New Brunswick I was told that I could tell when spring had arrived because the snow around the base of the trees would melt first. Well not only has this snow melted but so has virtually all the snow. The air today had that light, warm quality to it that bespeaks the arrival of spring. Does this mean spring is here?

We have had no real winter. The ground has been bare far more than snow covered. I must admit that I haven't had my fill of winter yet. I want more dark nights, more snowfilled days. I love to watch the snow fall. It is like being inside a snowglobe. It has a magical quality to it that brings out the child in me. I want to rush outside, catch snowflakes on my tongue, lay on the ground and make snow angels, catch someone unaware with a snowball and watch my dog run through the snow leaping and dancing because her paws are cold. I want the cozy candlelit winter nights, warm stew on the stove and a good book to curl up with.

I am not yet ready for all that spring brings, the garden cleanup, the lighter clothes, the rush to be outdoors. I am not ready for summer following quickly on springs heels. I want still the sights and sounds of winter." I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home