Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Death and the Law

"The United State Supreme Court, in a 6 to 3 vote has upheld a law allowing assisted suicide in the state of Oregon. This law had been passed twice by the people of Oregon.

Although it only allows the terminally ill to receive help and then only under strict rules, it is the start of the road we need to go down. People who are ill, not just dying, deserve the right to end their life with dignity, if that is what they so choose. Sometimes life, for the chronically ill, is as hard as it is for those who are dying. If you have only a horrible existence, with an ignoble death at the end to look forward to, you should have the right to choose whether you live or die. If you choose death and cannot end your life without help, that help should be available, no strings attached.

I hope that if I ever reach the point where life no longer holds promise or joy or excitement for me, only pain and misery, that someone will be there to help me leave this world. It would be a gift and I would appreciate the giving." I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home