Friday, July 21, 2006

Friday's Woman

"This week saw a protest in Fredericton that I found very upsetting. A group called Show the Truth Canada had posters all along three of the main streets showing graphic pictures of aborted fetuses. The purposes was "to shock as many people as possible", one of the organizers stated. How would anti-abortionists feel if those in favour of abortion lined the streets with pictures of starving or molested or dead children in an attempt to "shock" people into supporting them? After all, many people have children and then don't care for them, doing all the above stated things to them. I am a firm believer in a woman's right to choose how she prevents or handles a pregnancy. I do not believe it is anyone else's business. No one has the right to tell another person what to do with their own body. So this week's Canadian website is actually two, The Canadian Federation for Sexual Health and Planned Parenthood Fredericton

This week's Friday's Woman is Margaret Sanger, who opened the first birth control clinic in the United States and was instrumental in getting birth control education and devices available to women around the world. In 1927 Sanger helped organize the first World Population Conference in Geneva. In 1942 the Planned Parenthood Federation came into being through her efforts. It is sad that in the 21st century women are still having to fight for basic reproductory rights and suffer through attempts to make them feel guilty if abortion is the only option open to them that they can in good conscience choose," I whisper.

Are you listening?

6 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Margaret Sanger was an avowed racist, and one of her goals was to use birth control and abortion for eugenic purposes and to eliminate coloured people.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Alisa said...

From what I have read about her, I have to agree with you. That does not, however, invalidate the good that has come from her advocacy of birth control. ALL women must have the right to choose whether or not to get pregnant or to continue an unwanted pregnancy. The rights of an unborn child should NEVER be of more importance than those of the mother.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

More important? How is preserving the life of an unborn child giving him "more" rights? That's the way white supremacists used to talk: giving rights to blacks meant the making them supreme, and that the white man would become subjugated It simply does not follow. The interest of the fetus is his own LIFE. The interest of the woman, more often than not is an education, a carerr, a relationship, a lifestyle choice. These interests, however important they are, are not more important than a HUMAN LIFE, especially considering that pregnancy is a temporary condition-- an arduous one, no doubt about it, but still temporary, and still no justification for taking the life of a fetus.

The "good" that Margaret Sanger did was in the name of eliminating people who were "less fit". She was a racist through and through, and her abortion ideology was developed partially in the name of implementing that racist ideology.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Alisa said...

I do not think it is temporary state of "pregnancy" that makes women have an abortion. I think it is the fact that motherhood is forever.

I am not talking about Margaret Sanger's abortion idealogy, but her believe in the right of women to have access to birth control. When I was a child, birth control of any kind, including condems, was only allowed for medical reasons. It is a good thing that women today do not need to have 10 or 15 children like my grandmother and great grandmother did. Would you like to have a child every 2 years? Could you take care of that many children properly, giving them all the things that a child needs? I doubt if anyone in today's society could. I believe it is far better to have a couple of children and give them a good life, rather than keep having children and not be able to take care of them.

I do not believe that human life is sacred, any more so than the life of the chickens, cows and pigs that we consume on a daily basis. Do you know that plant life registers pain when it is cut?

And giving an unborn child the right to live, over the mother's right to have her body to herself, to decide whether or not she is fit and/or cabable of being a mother, is giving that baby more rights than it's mother.

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I do not believe that human life is sacred, any more so than the life of the chickens, cows and pigs that we consume on a daily basis. "

Really? I don't even know how to respond to this comment. You don't think your life is any more sacred than that of a chicken? What about a fly? or a bat?

Yet in your blog you say that words "feed your soul". I don't get it. What does that mean - "soul"? Does a chicken have a soul to feed too?

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Alisa said...

I believe ALL life is equally "sacred" for want of a better word. Why are humans of any more importance than any other form of life? We are one with everything that exists.

By soul I mean that part of me that makes me uniquely me. According to the Oxford American dictionary soul is defined as "the spiritual or immortal element in a person". As I believe in reincarnation this fits my definition. I believe that our "souls" are reincarnated in various manifestations throughout our existence.

For those of you who are new to my blog, I am not a Christian, nor do I believe in "God". I would call myself Pagan if I have to give a name to my spirituality.

I appreciate the interest in this topic, as I believe conversation is always beneficial and a way for people to grow, as long as they keep an open mind, and do not believe that their "way" is the only correct way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home