Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006 in Review

"This has been an eventful year. The main theme of it seems to have been pushing bounderies, overcoming fears. I have learned that the expression "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself" to be oh so true.

I travelled by myself for the first time in my life. I have always been afraid to, yet I learned I had nothing to fear. I managed fine.

I have always been afraid of bringing attention to myself but this past year I started Women in Black in Fredericton and put myself right up front for the whole world to see. I spoke on CBC Radio, I "stand on the street corner" protesting violence in a city where the main employer is the military base.

I have pushed myself to make connections in the community, forming friendships and risking rejection and while there have been some hurts, I have also made some very good friends.

I began volunteering teaching English to immigrant women and have found it a wonderful addition to my life. These women have taught me as much as I have taught them.

My daughter Sarah became pregnant and rather than the chaos and fear I always believed I would feel if this were to happen, instead it has brought us closer together, given us an opportunity for a second chance at our relationship.

My eldest sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. We have not had a relationship in years and now, because I ignored the boundaries imposed on our relationship, by time, distance and a dysfunctional past, we are building a new relationship that I hope will last.

My partner and I have worked through some very difficult problems and our relationship is better than ever. Again this is because I pushed boundaries, got out of my comfort zone and overcame my fears.

I survived my son moving out which I felt would be very traumatic. Instead it has been an education in learning to let go, not worry, and realizing that he is a capable young man, who will not only survive, but thrive without me mothering him.

Although 2006 was at times extremely traumatic, it has proved to be a very good year for personal growth and relationship building. I believe that 2007 will be even better. I hope that your 2006 was a year of growth and learning too.

I want to end this review with a quote I find very inspiring:

"We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives... not looking for flaws, but for potential."
~Ellen Goodman

May we all find things to be proud of, things to be thankful for, things to continue with, in the past year. Happy New Year!!" I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home