Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Blood Diamonds

"Tonight my daughter Sarah, my partner and I saw the movie "Blood Diamond". I already knew some of the tragedy behind the diamond trade. Seeing it portrayed in a movie though, makes it far more real and horrifying. I am not a jewellery type woman and have never wanted diamonds. After seeing the movie and reading some of the information online that I have found, at sources such as Amnesty International, CSR Wire, The Centre for Public Integrity and the United Nations, I have even less desire for one that is soaked in blood. I hope that everyone who sees this movie is inspired to find out more about this tragic trade and insists that any diamonds they purchase or that are purchased for them are conflict free diamonds. Peoples lives are worth far more than a fancy rock," I whisper.

Are you listening?

1 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Tapi said...

A very large part of the precious materials industry is like that its not just diamonds. Learn all types of things from dad, apparently the two largest metal cartels own half of each other to maintain stability, one is DeBeers(dont know if its spelled right)

Tapi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home