Thursday, November 23, 2006

What If We Don't ?

"I had never stopped to really think about it beyond the obvious, but war has a huge environmental impact that lasts for generations. How much of an impact I learned tonight at a talk put on by the Fredericton Peace Coalition. Gloria Paul of Project Ploughshares gave a fascinating talk on the environmental impact of war. What I found even more frightening than the information she shared, was that fact that there were only 7 people there to hear her speak. How in a city of 50,000 with additional thousands within half an hours drive, could no one else be interested? Is it due to the fact that CFB Gagetown, our local military base is probably the biggest employer in the province? Or that the Irvings, who control the media in New Brunswick, make a huge profit off of the base? Or is it that people really just don't care? That frightens me more than any other possiblity, the thought that we, as a species, the only species that can control it's own destiny, really don't care about our own survival," I whisper.

Are you listening?

Addendum: The speech is now online at www.frederictonpeace.org

2 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Tori said...

I would have liked to have heard her speak. I probably wouldn't have had time to go, but is there a website or something that I could check out?

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Alisa said...

I think her speech is going to be put on the Fredericton Peace Coalition website. It is www.frederictonpeace.org. Well worth reading when it is posted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home