Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Immigrant Women

"This evening I volunteered with the Immigrant Women's English class. I love going, these women are so interested in learning, they are intelligent and eager. It breaks my heart that so many of them sit at home alone day after day because they have no one to talk to, no one who is willing just to have a conversation with them. I hear time and again how unfriendly and unwilling to talk the people of Fredericton are. I don't understand this. How can people not be willing to show a little friendship to these women who have come from all over the world to our city and just want to be able to call it home? It never will be home for them if they are unwelcomed and ignored. I gave my phone number to one lovely woman and told her to call me, that I would help her with her English. She said, "You will help me?" When I said yes, she burst into tears. This woman has sat at home for a year because no-one has shown her friendship. It takes so little to make someone happy, a couple of hours, once a week, just talking and listening. Who of us, doesn't have a couple of hours to give? It can change someone's life," I whisper.

Are you listening?"

Link to Fredericton Immigrant Women's English Class if you are interested in volunteering or need help with your English.

1 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you dear for all the wonderful things that you do... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home