Saturday, July 22, 2006

New Brunswick SPCA Pet Expo

"Today I visited the First Annual New Brunswick SPCA Pet Expo. There were interesting vendors of pet products and various booths with information on the SPCA, Greyhound adoption, and Breed Specific Legislation. I thoroughly enjoyed petting the greyhounds, I am thinking of adopting one when our current dog is no longer with us. Talking to the SPCA workers and the people manning the booth for the Dog Legislation Council of Canada was very interesting. I am so NOT in favour of Breed Specific legislation. We have a part boxer/ part pit bull who lives up to her name of Honey. She is the gentlest, sweetest of dogs. She loves people and is no threat to anyone. And yet we were recently turned down when we attempted to get house insurance with one company, solely because of her breed. In a pamphlet I received today there was this "Experts know that dog breeds are identical to human races. When we assume negative things about all members of a race, we call that racism. Breed Specific Lefislation is the canine version of racism. It is discrimination based on ignorance." I couldn't have said it better myself," I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home