Friday, February 02, 2007

Friday Musings

"Have had a lot to write about lately and haven't written a thing. Funny how that happens. So here goes.

Finished a fascinating book Trans Atlantic Slavery: Against Human Dignity edited by Anthony Tibbles. This is a book published in Britain so it has a completely different slant than anything I have ever read before. It helps you to understand, that contrary to what most North Americans think, slavery was not solely an American issue. It had a definite British beginning, which we here, have a tendancy to forget. Well worth reading.

As more and more Canadian soldiers are shipped overseas to Afghanistan, more and more pressure is being put on the ordinary civilians of this area to "support the troops". Unfortunately, the general public does not seem to understand that supporting the troops and supporting the war are two different things. If you protest, as I do, the involvement of Canada in this war in Afghanistan, you are seen as somehow disloyal, as not appreciating the fact that these "brave men and women" are defending our way of life and our rights. As I don't buy this arguement you can expect to see me standing in vigil with Women in Black for a long time to come.

I am enjoying these days with my daughter Sarah very much. She has not been feeling at all well lately, baby is moving all the time, disrupting her sleep and she is suffering from low blood pressure which makes her feel sick and dizzy alot. This means she spends lots of time curled up on the sofa, which means we get lots of togehter time. I am so proud of her, she is handling the trials and tribulations of pregnancy, school and work very well and I know she will handle motherhood equally as well.

And last but not least, Phillip is preparing to go to Moncton for 6 weeks for his last apprenticeship course. As of the last chat I had with him, he still does not have a place to stay, but he is a big boy and I am sure he will find something before we take him down on the 18th.

On a side note, have 3 different calendars telling me two different things - is tonight the full moon or not? Anyone know?" I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home