Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Rally for the Troops

"On January 26 the Canadian military will start the deployment of 1000 men and women to Afghanistan. Most of these troops will come from the Maritimes, a great number of them from CFB Gagetown, our local military base. On Friday a huge rally is planned to show "our support" for the troops. My partner works at the base. He received an email today "requiring" him to attend the rally and events planned around it. I know that the turnout that results from this order being sent to personnel, both military and civilian, will be seen as "supporting" our troops and their mission. When in reality it only shows the control that the military and government have over the people who work for them. This is freedom? This is a democracy?

I show my support for the men and women in our armed forces by standing in vigil with Women in Black twice a month against violence of all kinds. I show my support by signing the NDP's Bring 'em Home petition. Our young men and women should not have to die needlessly in a war that they are only fighting because they will bring home 30 to 40 thousand extra dollars for 6 months work. They should not have to die or be wounded in a war over which they have no say. They should not have to die at all." I whisper.

Are you listening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home