Monday, March 27, 2006

Libya

"As I have mentioned previously I tutor a young woman in English, who is from Libya. I decided I should learn a little about Libya so I would understand her and her background better. I visited my favourite source of information, the public library. Unfortunately, the library had only two books on Libya, both children's books, published in 1987 and 1993. I did though, learn a number of interesting things about this country.

The Barbary Coast, a name which I remember clearly from my childhood, but never knew where it was, was Libya. In 1987 the life expectancy was only 37 years of age. The Bedouin are the nomadic people of Libya, while the Tuaregs and Berbers are semi-nomadic. Camels carry 50 gallons of water in their stomachs and can go for 2-3 days without water once that is gone. The official religion of Libya is Islam. Quaddafi was only 27 years old when he became the ruler of Libya by overthrowing the King. Sabha, a city in the interior of the country, is considered the driest city in the world. The Phoenicians, Romans, Greeks, Arabs, Turks and Italians have all ruled over this part of the world and left their mark. Marvellous ruins can be found in various parts of Libya.

The information I found in these books makes me more interested in reading about this fascinating country and it's history. Ah, the power of books," I whisper.

Are you listening?

4 Comments:

At 3:17 AM, Blogger KhadijaTeri said...

There are not very many books about Libya, probably because Libya's been closed off to most of the world for so long.

I teach English in Libya!

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger KhadijaTeri said...

Our school has a blog - we have students from many nationalities but most of the students are Libya. Come have a look: http://alea-english.blogspot.com

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Freedance said...

The best information on Libya and Libyans can be obtained by talking to or corresponding with libyan blogers.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Tapi said...

wikipedia is also a great resource http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libya .also Neal Stephensons' Baroque Cycle, a work of historical fiction, has scenes on the barbary coast which would be good for describing scenery etc. Phil has the books Im pretty sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home