Sunday, July 23, 2006

Abortion

"Wow, I am not quite sure how it happened but my advocacy of birth control has been taken by some to mean:

a) that I favour racism and eugenics
b) that I favour abortion as a solution when a women's career, education or relationship is jeopardised by her pregnancy
c) that I am a vegetarian
and last but by no means least
d) that I think the children of the third world should be allowed to die.

Wow, I thought that I was saying that the prevention of pregnancy was a good thing. That women should have the right to decided if and when they get pregnant.

Yes, I admit that I was also saying that if a women finds herself pregnant and is unable to take proper care of the child while she is pregnant and after the child is born, then an abortion should be a viable option. I do not think such a decision is easy to make, in fact it is probably the hardest one any woman can be forced to make. But it is a preferable option to bringing another unwanted and uncared for child into the world.

Now, to the unrelated comments on the relationship between humans and animals. I do NOT believe that humans are superior to animals, nor do I believe that animals were placed upon the earth to be in service to mankind. I believe that all living and non living things are part of an incredible interwoven web that depends upon each other for the survival of all. I believe that we all play a role in the dance of life and death and that none is more important than the other. Well, except that is for the humble ant. If all of humankind were to be extinguished only SIX microscopic species that dwell inside humans would die off. However if all ants were to be killed ALL life on this planet would die. Makes you question man's superiority doesn't it?" I whisper.

Are you listening?

Note: Yes, I know I first mentioned animals. However, I was saying ALL life was "sacred", I was not discussing the relationship between humans and animals. That I will leave for a future disussion!

4 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I believe that we all play a role in the dance of life and death and that none is more important than the other."

Yes, I am a Christian, so I too believe that we must respect animals, but I don't believe I will be reincarnated into one. I don't understand how you can believe in abortion if "none is more important than the other". Isn't the fetus "the other" - just a smaller "other". At what point is it an "other"? What if you were reincarnated into this "other" and killed b/c it was possible to do so?

hmmmmmmmm......

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Alisa said...

By "none is more important than another" I was referring to humans over animals. I suppose I could have said "none is more sacred than another". I was not referring to one person over another. I believe that the mother's life has priority over that of the unborn child.

If I was reincarnated as a baby or as an animal that we humans consume, and killed, I would just be reincarnated again.

I do not believe ANY woman has an abortion "because it is possible to do so." I believe that any woman who has an abortion gives a great deal of thought, emotion and possibly prayer before decided to end her child's life.

I must admit that I find it interesting that in this discussion I am the only one that calls the unborn child, a child or a baby while everyone who is anti-abortion calls it a fetus. If you believe it is a child, why not call it one?

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I am going to refrain from posting my opinions on abortion. But I will say that I do find it interesting that Alisa brought up how terrible the situation in the middle east is right now and no-one felt the need to comment on that. For people so concerned with preserving life, you would think that the murder of hundreds of innocent civilians would spark some kind of comment.
I think it's so pointless to debate abortion when there are so many awful things going on in the world - things that are *undeniably* wrong and that we can take action to change. Why not help feed starving children in Africa? Or join Amnesty International and support human rights around the world. If you really want to help preserve human life, there are so many better ways to go about it than to post nasty messages on a blog.

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the middle east, it is horrible. BTW, I'm Catholic too, and in church this morning we prayed for the middle east. Pope Benedict asked each Pastor in each parish in the world to pray for peace and said that the Palistinians, Israelis, and Lebanese have the right to live in sovereignty and peace. He didn't take a side. And he drew pointed attention to the upcoming disaster. Yes, it is a priority. Yes we are praying for this genocide to end, as well as the killing of innocent babies, human life in the womb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home